Thursday, May 10, 2007

Money vs Time

Every morning, as I get ready for work, Meredith, Matt, Al, and Ann join me. (I really miss Katie but that's a topic for another post).

This morning there was a snippet of a story about a Brit that was told by the Royal Hospital in some town (I love that the hospitals are called Royal!)...he was told that he had pancreatic cancer. Now, if you didn't know this...pancreatic cancer is seriously deadly. It's awful. It progresses quickly and there aren't many options for treatment. So....back to the story....he was told he had less than six months to live. Learning this news, he went out and lived the high life. Fine dining every day, treating family and friends to lavish gifts, not paying his mortgage.

Well, lo and behold, he didn't have cancer. He had pancreatitis. He is going to live! Hallelujah! He'll live but he's now flat broke and sueing the hospital. UGH!

So, how does this relate to my life? Well, it doesn't really except that John says we must be prudent this summer and not go on a vacation. Sure we'll see my folks and maybe swing by the Grand Canyon but nothing more. Boo to John. I want to live the lavish life and go on a great vacation!

While I know he is right, I hate saving $$$ for future great plans. I think I like to live 6 months out. If it's not happening within six months, it's no fun to save for it. Again...boooooo!!! When it comes to money and time, it seems like the more time you have to wait, the less fun it is to pack away the bucks.

No comments: